Sunday, November 22, 2009

Basic History Classes

I am sick and tired of basic history classes. I have not yet (and considering the amount of time left in the semester, this means 'will not') bought the textbook for my American History class; I routinely skip it; I don't study for it. I got an A on the test and wrote an "excellent essay (the only comment on my essay)."
In my World history class, my teacher gave me an A- on my book dissection just to be mean and nasty and in order to keep me coming to class, since she takes roll (which I think is stupid. After all, this is college). The only way for me to have made that essay better would have been to actually read the book and not write the essay the night before it was due, and those suggestions seem ludicrous to me. Who does she think I am?
I think that the History Department needs to have some kind of test-out exam, or offer an accelerated class where you can take both classes at once. After I finish my classes, I am going to go complain to the department; that way it will be clear that I am doing it because I think the department will be better for it and not just to demonstrate what a super genius I am (there was never any DOUBT of that).
In other news- Mommy said that I was accepted for the French Huguenot Scholarship, which is nice, since I am following in such massive footsteps.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo, the Huguenot Scholarship! Congratulations!

Yeah...prereqs...I think that's a good idea, to talk to the department. It's kind of a bummer that their making you waste time and credits on stuff you already know.

The Looney Writer said...

Yeah. It makes sense. I think it's unfair that you can write an essay in just one night and still get an A- on it. Either that, or you're just stinkin' lucky.

Darth Glader said...

I think that the fact that you can, without having read the book, write an essay on it and get an A- is proof that the class is worthless.

I maintain that the purpose of college is to learn things that you could not otherwise learn on your own. There are two kinds of people who enjoy history: those who have marketable skills outside history, and those who have history degrees. One of the two groups is likely to be gainfully employed, and it is not the history majors. You should major in something as technical as you can stand if you would like to be able to support a family.